Jean Toomer's "Cane"
This is a bare-bones digital edition of Jean Toomer's "Cane" (1923). The edition was put together in January 2019 by Amardeep Singh of Lehigh University using a version digitized by Google Books.
A proper introduction to the text and Jean Toomer will hopefully be coming soon. For those who don't know Toomer, a good starting point might be Wikipedia or the biographical note on Modern American Poetry at the University of Illinois.
Nodes in the diagram above are clickable. For access to a simple version of the Table of Contents, click here
- Plain text (.txt) file version
- An introduction to the text
- More careful proofreading
- More semantic tags
- The (abstract) illustrations included in the original text
- More bibliographic information about the original publication venues of many of Toomer's poems and stories
- A Works Cited
Sister projects by Amardeep Singh: Claude McKay's Early Poetry. Women of the Early Harlem Renaissance