The core of this issue is a series of historical essays on four different Asian American immigrant groups: Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and Filipinos. Following those essays, the issue contains an extensive list of Asian American organizations, including: Asian American Experimental College, Asian American Political Alliance, Asian American Student Alliance, the Asian American Studies Center (UCLA), Council of Oriental Organizations, East-West Players (a group of Asian American actors), and the Yellow Brotherhood.
The staff expands significantly for this issue.
Table of Contents
- Cincip is here. (Cincip is "Picnic" backwards). A plan for an Asian American gathering on July 27, 1969.
- Don't Call Me Tabo. By Warren Furutani. A personal essay on Japanese American naming: "My mom said they call me Tabo, because when my older brother was little he couldn't pronounce Tadashi. Yeh, Tadashi is my Japanese name, but my real name is Warren."
- Noguchi Receives Support. An update on the Thomas Noguchi trial, with reference to a petition containing 3000 names supporting the Japanese American coroner as well as money raised in support of his legal fees.
- The Burden of Life by James Okazaki.
- Hey, Look Me Over. By Georgia Lee. A critique of Japanese American beauty contests.
- The Chinese in Los Angeles. By David Chan, UCLA. A historical essay on the Chinese population in Los Angeles.
- From Japan to L.A. by Jim Matsuoka. A historical essay on the Japanese community in Los Angeles.
- The Korean Americans. By Joyce -----, UCLA. A historical essay on Korean immigration to Hawaii and the West Coast.
- The Filipino Immigrant. By Candido Domingo, UCLA. A historical essay on Filipino immigration to Hawaii and the West Coast.
- "Yellow Womanhood" by Anonymous
- "The Song Says, people want to be free..." by Amy Uyematsu
- "Slow, deliberate suicide..." by Amy Uyematsu
- "Garden" by Tracy Okida
- "We're just reflections or images so they state" by Barbara Yamamoto
The full issue can be accessed at Densho Repository here:
This page has paths:
This page has tags:
This page references:
- Gidra 1.5 California Asian American populations
- Median Income and Education of Asian Population by Ethnicity in 1960. (From Gidra 1.5)